Thursday, October 28, 2010

Diane Sawyer

OK, so I had this idea to do a book called GO PR YOURSELF. How we give advice to our clients but never follow them for ourselves. For example, I was part of a cover story in the NYTimes Style section and did I blab away. What a shock to wake up one Sunday to find it was a cover story and the only pix was of me. Literally half a page. but vertically not the usual horizontal

I was hunted by the press. OK, not like Princess Die, but it did get me the moniker of Lady NI. The next day GMA called at 9am and said that Diane Sawyer wanted to be the first to interview me. I officially the It girl of disfunction.  EVERY night I'd get a messengered letter asking me to be on every New York media outlet.  


BTW, I have an unlisted number, address etc. These big media outlets  have this secret way of getting unpublished information. It was a bit big sisterish.


Tried to get out of GMA two minutes after I said yes. Called back the producer. She was like a pr person ...please, please I will get fired  if  I tell my boss.


SO I appeared on GMA the next morning and Diane Sawyer (gorgoues) had me by the fire making me feel very comfortable. She said...So you said your husband for a period drank alot (ME: he stopped when he was dead) and as a result of that I knew the only thing I could control was my eating or not. So Diane leaned in and asked WHY my husband drank. I said very matter of factly...he was British. She was like huh, what never heard that.  I had flustered Diane Sawyer!!! Cool.


Got back to my office and The London Times called asking for a statement on how Britain made me almost die from an eating disorder.


People magazine called. Lifetime wanted to discuss doing a movie of my life. It was crazy. I couldn't get big tv placements for my very high level clients but they were knocking down my  door.


I went into my  boss-  who was a lunatic but a genius in so many ways - crying. He told me I had to treat myself  like a client. Would I suggest to them I should be a woman in peril on Lifetime. Did I want to be a poster girl for anorexia in one thirties? And did I want to be on the cover of People.

 If it happened today I'd be offered a  reality show.

No comments:

Post a Comment