Thursday, October 28, 2010

Clueless in Hampstead Village

Did you read Sarah Lyall's Anglo Files book? So fcuking true.


I lived in Hampstead Village which was the equivilant of a very dark rainy dank Malibu Colony. Tons of celebs and had the deepest tube station. Very cool place. They turned down McDonalds from their High Street because the logo was so garishly bright. For the  first time ever, the company did a store but the logo was all black. Just a very special place to live in London.


When I moved there struck up an aquaintance with this guy with a kid strapped to his back at the green market. It turns out he lived near us and invited us over for dinner. My husband said NO, I had to learn that Brits do not socialize with their neighbors.keep to yourself, don't be so American. Peter O'Toole lived on our block, Lulu and her gorgous husband John Frieda (unknown back then) lived around the corner as did Boy George. This guy was def not a celeb because he was very slight with balding hair and a little bit timid..


We would meet at the creperie  on the High Street practicually every week for a quick bite. He told me he was moving with his family and too bad my husband was such a Brit- Twit.


So the husband was driving with me on a windy road many months later. My friend wildly honked at me, and the terribly standoffish Brit turned to me and said...what the fcuk, how do you know Sting?

From that moment on when I met someone interesting we accepted their dinner invite.

No comments:

Post a Comment